Helpful Tips for a Fun Plaza Art Fair Experience for You and Your Dog from The Humane Society of Greater Kansas City
The Country Club Plaza is a great place to bring your best friend for a stroll and a fun outing together. However, the Plaza Art Fair is a big event that can be challenging for many dogs. Here are some things to consider before deciding if the event is a good fit for you and your dog:
Large crowds – Dogs who are a bit timid especially have a hard time, but even dogs who are normally very friendly can be anxious and uncomfortable in a large crowd. If you have a small dog or puppy, consider that a crowd of people can be even more challenging and overwhelming for them. They can be tripped over or accidentally stepped on.
Noise level – The Art Fair’s large crowds mean increased noise. Plus the live music can be scary for some dogs. Take into consideration your dog’s temperament and experience with both crowds and noise before deciding if this is an event they would enjoy.
Kid friendliness – Does your furry kid do well around the human kids? There will be lots and lots of children at the Plaza Art Fair, and also strollers.
Weather – Consider the weather and especially the heat. Many dogs don’t do well in the heat, especially dogs with short muzzles. And dogs are closer to the pavement which can be even hotter, and may hurt their paws in higher temperatures.
Manners – Okay, be honest here… does your dog have good manners? Your dog should be able to attend the event without jumping up on people, or misbehaving around other dogs, or pulling you through the crowd. If not, we absolutely understand and we’re not judging! But it would probably be best to leave your buddy at home for this event.
You know your dog best. Would your dog enjoy the Plaza Art Fair and be a Canine Good Citizen? Or would your dog be happier with a walk around the neighborhood and then relaxing at home while you attend the art fair?
If you decide you do want to bring your dog, here are some tips to help you have a fun and safe outing:
• Have a collar or harness on your dog that fits properly so that your dog can’t slip out.
• Have current ID tags on your dog.
• Bring your pet supplies, including bags to clean up after your dog, and water if needed. Plaza Customer Service has a water bowl out on Broadway north of Williams-Sonoma, and many other stores offer water bowls as well. The Humane Society of Greater KC’s booth also has water bowls and poop bags, and is located on Broadway south of 47th Street.
• Bring a leash. Your dog must be on a leash, by city ordinance. We encourage you to use a short leash to keep your dog close to you. Flexi or retractable leashes are great for the park and open areas, but not for crowds.
• Ask first before letting your dog meet another dog. Just like people, dogs can be choosy about who they like, especially if they are feeling stressed.
• Saturday and Sunday mornings are generally a good time to bring your dog. The cooler temperatures and smaller crowds create a nice environment for a successful pet outing.
• If your small dog or puppy is acting scared or anxious, or when in a particularly crowded area, we’d encourage you to pick him or her up in your arms. Or bring a stroller.
• Be aware of how your dog is doing at all times. If he or she needs a break, find a quiet place or some shade to hang out for awhile. There are grassy spots along Ward Parkway near Brush Creek. There is another nice grassy area at Ward Parkway & Wyandotte, south of Jack Stack BBQ.
We hope you and your canine companion have a great time at the Plaza Art Fair! Please stop by our booth if there’s anything we can assist you with or just to say hello. And if you’re thinking about adding a new four-legged family member, we’ll have adoptable dogs for you to meet! Our booth is located at 47th & Broadway and hours are Friday 6-9pm, Saturday 10am-7pm, Sunday Noon-4pm.
The Humane Society of Greater Kansas City